The Native Nutrition approach to health include:
- the path of yo-yo dieting and weight cycling where people swing between periods of controlled, restrictive eating alternating with times of difficulty regulating hunger and fullness due to a focus on food rules rather than intuitive eating
- the path of obsessively focusing on weight and body shape to the point that people become unable to eat in a relaxed, enjoyable way, placing them at risk of a clinical Eating Disorder.
The non-diet approach may still involve a focus on nutrition, but it does so in combination with a consideration of other aspects of well-being such as moderation, flexibility, spontaneity and pleasure.
Body Acceptance encourages a self-compassionate approach to caring for the body we have. This approach prioritises a healthy mind-body relationship enabling us to be kind to ourselves and grateful for our body’s functionality, taking a holistic approach to caring for our overall health.
This approach offers a non-judgemental approach which appreciates size diversity.
HEALTH AT EVERY SIZE®
- Weight Inclusive: Accept and respect the inherent diversity of body shapes and sizes and reject the idealising or pathologising of specific weights.
- Health Enhancement: Support health policies that improve and equalise access to information and services, and personal practices that improve human well-being, including attention to individual physical, economic, social, spiritual, emotional, and other needs..
- Respectful Care: Acknowledge our biases, and work to end weight discrimination, weight stigma, and weight bias. Provide information and services from an understanding that socio-economic status, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other identities impact weight stigma, and support environments that address these inequities.
- Eating for Well-being: Promote flexible, individualised eating based on hunger, satiety, nutritional needs, and pleasure, rather than any externally regulated eating plan focused on weight control.
- Life-Enhancing Movement: Support physical activities that allow people of all sizes, abilities, and interests to engage in enjoyable movement, to the degree that they choose.
MY APPROACH WILL BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT.